Friday, November 14, 2008

Chicken Enchilada Casserole

1lb. cooked chicken (I used 1 1/2 cans of cooked chicken from Costco)
1 can of red enchilada sauce
2 cans of cream of mushroom soup
1-2 cups of grated cheese
8 corn tortillas
1 can olives, sliced
1 cup diced onions (optional)

Using a baking pan; layer corn tortillas, cover entire bottom of pan; (I break them in half to make them fit better) layer chicken with onions and then cheese. (I do two layers of tortillas, chicken, cheese and top with another layer of tortillas.)

Next in a saucepan, bring enchilada sauce and soup to a boil while stirring constantly. Immediately pour sauce over casserole allowing it to soak down into all of the layers. Add a top layer of cheese and then olives on top for garnish. Bake at 325 degrees for 1/2 hour. For a thicker enchilada sauce, add one 4 oz. can of chopped green chiles.

This is a super easy casserole and tastes great the next day, too. We put some fat free sour cream on top for the kids because it takes a little of the spicy zip away. I like a little chopped Roma tomato on top, too.

No comments: